LS100-1: Describe the foundation, organization, and structure of the American legal system.
LS100-2: Identify different sources of law and their role in the American legal system.
GEL 1.1: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard American English.
As described in Chapter 2, the American government follows the principle of federalism, in which both the federal government and state governments coexist and make laws within their own designated realms. In this assignment, you will have the opportunity to learn about federalism and the role played by the federal government and state governments in the law-making process.
Based on your reading of Chapter 2, answer the following questions with substantive responses:
- Describe the organization and structure of the American legal system by defining the different roles of the federal and state governments, and
- Describe the Supremacy Clause and explain what happens when there is a direct conflict between federal and state law.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the Assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria:
- Length should be 2-3 pages, excluding cover page and references page.
- Double-spaced and in a 12-point font
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics.
- Appropriate citation style should be followed.