PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & OPERATIONS – CATEGORY MANAGER ANALYSIS
Note: While representative of possible situations faced by Alikay Naturals, all scenarios in this assignment are fictional.
For this assignment, you’ll assume the role of a Category Manager for the Beauty Products category at a national discount retail store; and answer the five questions presented below. Your responses to these questions should be typed into the template provided OR typed directly into the assignment submission box below.
WHAT IS A CATEGORY MANAGER?
Category Managers are responsible for related groups of products (for example, baseball equipment or laundry detergents) for a retail business. They use research, information and insights about the category to change shopper behavior and increase sales of the products in the category. They also work with the suppliers of the products in their category to ensure that good products and services are available to customers.
As a Category Manager, part of your role is to analyze data and information about how well a product is selling to help the maker of that product improve the product and consider introducing new products. Rochelle and her team at Alikay Naturals have asked you, the Beauty Products Category Manager, to review one of their products and determine where it lies in the product life cycle. Additionally, they have asked you to recommend ways to improve the product in order to increase sales.
Question 1: Product Life Cycle
Review the Product Sales Report for Alikay Naturals Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo. The Product Sales Report contains important information that will help you to identify where the product stands in the Product Life Cycle and give you clues about what changes customers might like to see. Respond to Rochelle and her team at Alikay Naturals based on the information in the Product Report.
- Identify where Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo is currently positioned in the product life cycle. Please describe the rationale for your position.
Question 2: Product Changes
Review the User Survey Summary outlined on the template.
- What recommendation(s) do you have for Alikay Naturals to improve or replace Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo? Please support your recommendation(s).
Question 3: New Product Development
Read the New Product Proposal, which contains three examples of possible products that could be developed to replace Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo. Based on the information in this proposal and the customer feedback in the Product Report:
- If you had to recommend one product, which product would you recommend they create? Please explain your decision. Provide examples of the customer feedback that informed your choice. Determine which type of innovation this represents from among the four main types discussed this week. Briefly explain why you chose that type of innovation.
Question 4: Innovation
Based on the product you chose in Question #3:
- Determine which type of innovation this represents from among the four main types discussed this week. Briefly explain why you chose that type of innovation.
Question 5: Production Methods
Based on the product you chose in Question #3:
- Determine which production method is most appropriate for the production of this product.
Complete Your Assignment
When you are ready to complete and submit your assignment, follow these steps.
Note: You may not be able to Submit the assignment in Blackboard (Step 4) until the week that it is due opens for you. You can however, use the template and instructions and prepare it early.
- Download the the following:
- Use the information in the instructions to complete the template.
- Save your completed template (not these instructions) to your desktop.
Navigation: Select File at the top, then select Save As > Browse > Desktop, select Save.
- Log into your class and select SUBMIT on the week due, scroll down and select the SUBMIT YOUR WORK button.
- Note: the SUBMIT YOUR WORK button will not appear until the week the Assignment is due.
- On the Preview Upload Assignment page, scroll down and click the Browse My Computer button (in the Assignment Submission area). Find your file on the desktop, click the Open button, then click the Submit button in the bottom right side of the Preview Upload Assignment page to submit your Assignment.
- If you have any issues, please contact your professor.
Strayer Writing Standards: This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.