Assignment: Theoretical Applications and Policy Implications
One of the primary purposes of a criminological theory is to inform crime prevention and victim reduction strategies and policies. This is accomplished by examining the factors proposed by the theory that contribute to or cause crime and then developing strategies or policies that impact these factors.
Imagine this scenario: You are a consultant for the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP). You have been asked to give a short presentation at their annual conference on the use of a criminological theory to inform policy.
Note: You may choose any criminological theory for this Assignment. However, you might consider researching routine activity theory, strain theory, the general theory of crime, social learning theory, social disorganization theory, biological theories, or psychological theories. Remember to only select one theory.
Library and the Internet to find three scholarly resources that focus on a criminological theory. Select one criminological theory to use in your presentation.
Develop a 4- to 6-minute video presentation to be uploaded into Kaltura, in which you include the following:
- Provide an overview of the criminological theory you selected. Include the main tenets and propositions in your overview.
- Describe how this theory explains the occurrence of crime.
- Include biological, psychological, social, and structural variables.
- Provide three crime reduction strategies or policies that are based on the theory that you selected. These may be existing strategies or policies, or ones that you create.
- Analyze how each crime reduction strategy or policy is based on the theory that you selected. Identify which theoretical tenet each crime reduction strategy or policy is based on.
- Summarize your presentation by explaining which types of crimes each of your strategies or policies will most likely impact and how they might contribute to social change.
- PLEASE PUT IN A SCRIPT FORM AND HIGHLIGHTED AREAS
24 (24%) – 30 (30%)
The video presentation provides an overview of the criminological theory selected. The overview includes the main tenets and propositions
24 (24%) – 30 (30%)
The video presentation describes how the selected criminological theory explains the occurrence of crime. Included in the description are the biological, psychological, social, and structural variables
24 (24%) – 30 (30%)
In the video presentation, three crime reduction strategies or policies that are based on the theory selected are identified (either existing strategies/policies or ones you created).
In the video presentation, an analysis of how each crime reduction strategy or policy is based on the theory that you selected is given.
The video presentation identifies which theoretical tenet each crime reduction strategy or policy is based on.
The video presentation adheres to the 4- to 6-minute time limit, is well-organized and succinct, and provides a summary of your presentation by explaining which types of crimes each of your strategies or policies will most likely impact and how they might contribute to social change
8 (8%) – 10 (10%)
Speaker engages the audience through mostly clear enunciation, correct pronunciation, comfortable pacing, and appropriate volume.
Organization of information generally enhances audience understanding of concepts
Highlight at the end At the end of you will reflect on what you learned in the module. Write 1–2 paragraphs in which you discuss what you found most interesting, and explain. Include any biological, psychological, social, and structural variables that you found interesting or that surprised you. Describe how what you learned has changed how you think about victims of crime.
9 (36%) – 10 (40%)
All required content is discussed in the Journal
14 (56%) – 15 (60%)
Reflection is thoughtful, convincing, insightful, and exploratory