Robert Peel was hailed as the father of policing when he established the Metropolitan Police Department in London in the late 1820s. He devised several principles that set the stage for policing practices that have been adopted and maintained in contemporary policing.
- Address the following in 4–6 paragraphs:
- Select 3 of Sir Robert Peel’s principles that you feel most relate to modern policing.
- For each selected principle, answer the following questions:
- What does the principle state?
- Include 1 real-world example to illustrate this principle.
- Do you agree with the principle in full? Why or why not?
- How do you think this principle applies to 21st century policing? Explain.